Since we are familiar with the software updates’ notification in our windows and Ubuntu machines. Every day when we connect with internet, we get updates and notifications for windows update near other system icons.
So lets start with the meaning of update and what is included in update and how it cause impact on the user experience after update.
What is Software Updates and what is included in update?
Updates are additions to software that can help to fix problem and bugs. Software Updates also improve the performance of software along with the user experience.
Impact of updates
- It helps to fix all bugs those were not fixed in previous version of software application.
- It increases the performance of software application.
- It also increases the security aspect of software if it is related to sharing of data through it, like some software related to banking.
- Some time it also helps to add some extra features in software application.
- User interface sometime also improved by updating the software application UI.
- Updates also increase the stability of software and we get solution of certain system crash due to software updates.
Since update increases the user experience, it is the responsibility of product company to test each and every aspect of fixes and enhancement before releasing the software updates to end user.
So friends, Here I am posting some test cases that will help testers to test fixes and enhancement packages that is included in updates.
1- Verify the way of update .
- Automatic Update : Verify system check for updates everyday at a fix time. Suppose i am taking 2 am for automatic update.
- Manual Update: Verify manual update checks ( Go to help-> click on update link and wait for few moment it will show updates if updates would be available).
2- Verify the version of software before every update.
3- Verify the version of software just after update ( version of software should increase I am taking the example of Adobe reader, suppose version before update is 9.5 and after update it starts showing 9.5.1).
4- Verify on clicking notification, update asks for Licensing agreement.
5- Verify installation should start just after accepting Licensing agreement (Some time EULA appears before update).
6- Verify installation should terminate after disagreeing with licensing agreement.
7- Verify error messages when disk space is low at time of installation of update( Error message should ask for disk clean-up).
8- Verify installation of update when internet connection get disconnected and error message should appear for internet connection.
9- Verify proxy server from where update are being downloaded for installation.
10- Verify message something like this “Software is updated and there is no update present” when we try for manual update.
11- Verify compatibility of software if there is some conflict with certain software or hardware in earlier version.
12- Verify disk space used by update
13- Verify for effective implementation of update restart is needed
14- Verify the language at Licensing agreement page
15- Verify update at various kind of user like User with Admin privilege, user with standard user account and user for user with no permission to do any change in system configuration
16- Verify installation of update when firewall is on and security is high
17- Verify installation of update at low-speed internet and at high-speed net
19- Verify uninstallation of software after update
20- Verify the uninstallation of software updates ( To make sure user could uninstall software updates if any thing goes wrong)
Although all above test cases are related to desktop applications but most of these test cases are eligible for mobile applications as well. So read it carefully and ideates for your mobile application testing as well.