Test Case and Test Scenario
When i have started my career as Test Engineer, I was bit confuse between Test Case and Test Scenario. After a long time I came to know the basic difference between Test Case and Test Scenario, the two typical keyword of testing which are the base of whole testing. but this confusion was due to the interlinked connection between Test Scenario and Test Case. Finally I has come to know the difference between test case and Test Scenario
– Test Scenario : is a hypothetical story flow that covers all the typical and unusual workflow and situations that may occur in product. It means Scenario is just the story that covers all the expected flows of product that any end-user can follow while using the product While Test Case: is just the conditional or a kind of variable that is given as input to test whether functionality is working fine or not. The pass and fail criteria of a test case is normally mentioned in Test Plan.
– normally test scenario is the sequence of test cases that are executed one after other while Test Case are just the single step to accomplish the task.
– Test scenario ensures that all business flow has been covered and tested end to end while Test case ensure that a single step has been covered well.
– So most of the people use to say that test scenario is just the way “What to test ” and it normally speaks about functionality while Test Case say “How to Test”.
– Test Scenarios are derived from some use case while Test Cases are the integral part of Test Scenario or can say the connecting ring.
I think now you will be able to differentiate test scenario and Test Cases
Typical Test Case format <each test case template contains all the following keywords as Column>
– Test Case ID
– Test case Description
– Test Data
– Drop Down (Automated/Manual)
– Expected Result
Since this is generic format and this test case format varies from company to company. Since in my company we normally mention the Priority and Severity in test case format as well . So be ready and make your very first test case template at your own. Good Luck
your opinion is expected and if i have left anything then please mention this through your comments